Mould or mold as the Americans prefer to call it, is a type of fungus growth with close characteristics to algae. There are more than 100,000 recognised species of mould in the world, some of the most common of which are the so-called pathogenic, allergic and toxic varieties.
Due to the increased humidity in the British Isles, there is an exorbitant number of fungi growing, with more than 140 miles of mycelium networks being suspected to grow underneath London alone.
While this is a fascinating life form for the taxonomic community in Britain, for homeowners around the city it’s nothing but a nuisance. What is more annoying is dealing with it and permanently removing it from your home.
This article is intended to help you deal with indoor mould for good and permanently remove the risk of the hazardous effects it can have on a person’s health.
Mould relies on moisture, high humidity and a cellulose-based food source. Sadly, sometimes this source is the backing paper of the gyp board your house is covered in.
The presence of mould in your home is a sure sight of moisture either in a condensed form or behind the walls. Mould grows in dark places, usually in colonies and it takes anywhere between 24 and 48 to fully mature and start spreading.
Taking away the moisture is the only proven permanent solution because it removes a very useful medium which mould needs for the transference of nutrients and oxygen molecules.
Mould itself is considered a fungus, which means that almost any anti-fungal solutions will prove to be successful in dealing with a currently existing colony.
Identifying the different species may also help with getting good results when cleaning because there are drought resistant mould variants in Britain which won’t disappear when moisture is deal with. These varieties generally leave a reddish, rust-like colour behind.
The penicillium species is also quite common and it has a distinct greenish hue to it, with overflowing white peripheral colouring surrounding the central portion.
Proper identification will not only make it easier for you to clean it, but may also prove to be beneficial for your health. There are species of mould which are generally referred to as “black mould” which is rich in mycotoxins.
They have neuroparalytic qualities and can be quite harmful to the connection of the brain to the rest of the body, causing severe health issues and partial loss of lung function.
The most common issues that may be caused by mould is the so-called aspergillosis, however, according to the NHS: “Most people who breathe in the mould do not get ill.” and “Aspergillosis is rare in healthy people. “
Considering it’s quite rare, chances are you don’t have stachybotrys chartarum (black mould) growing in your house – better still to be sure and not make contact with any mould growing on furniture, walls or fabrics.
Aside from professional store-bought mould spray, there are home solutions which could easily act as black mould remover if need be. There are several precautions which you need to take when dealing and handling black mould.
The first thing we at EasyCleaningLondon.co.uk suggest, is to wear protection, as well as:
The most common household treatments for mould on walls are:
When cleaning mould-infested fabrics it’s important to follow these points as to avoid contaminating other fabrics:
Fungi rely on sugar-based food source as means for producing energy. The simplest compound which they draw sugar source from is the cellulose found in paper, wall paper, furniture backing, carpet backing and so much more.
It’s generally a good idea to wash the mould-infested fabric by hand rather than your washer because it might contaminate it. By washing it by hand you narrow the chances of cross-contamination and get closer to the coveted “permanent solution”.
Wall mould spray is a great starting point and generally works just fine. You’d need to acquire a spray bottle (can be found in any grocer). You also need to dilute the contents with water or some sort of spirits which evaporate over time.
Using water to spray for mould on walls is a double-edged sword – you might cause damage to the wallpaper or gyp board. It’s best to refrain from it and go for a spirit-based home remedy which contains more than 90% isopropanol or hydrogen peroxide.
If you are wondering how to clean mould off walls and if there are “No-Nos”, for starters you should avoid scrubbing it, or any of the following;
The best way to treat mould on walls or any other sort of fungal growth on fabrics, is to find the source of the moisture that is giving it life, and dealing with it.
There are things on the market called “magic mould removers” which do work, however, if you really want to put a stop to the problem from the root – you should consider removing all excess moisture from the air.
Without moisture mould cannot germinate and cannot release its spores, the half-life of which are anywhere between 20 and 40 days.
In any cleaning matters, outdoor and indoor ones, EasyCleaningLondon.co.uk would be more than happy to assist. Hope this article helps – stay safe!